View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I have almost 38k on my cobalt originals been at 50 psi for last 11,000, wet traction bad otherwise OK, no winter driving yet, tread looks like I have another 20,000. Planning on driving the Stratus to work when weather looks iffy this winter (depending on gas prices).

Nokian WR G2, expensive, but I'm happy with the set I got used for the Stratus when I was really just looking for some 15" rims. They are LRR and winter rated with 50,000 tread life rating. $122 each is the only local price I could find and they are more expensive online. Was going to put those on the Impala 2 at a time, but had a failure on a Sunday so got 2 walmart douglas xtrac II which I've had OK experience with.

I'd put them on the Malibu that's due except initial cost is too high when needing 4, going with some Xice2 $86 instead but in Cobalt, Stratus and coming Altima size.(4 car's 1 tire size)
How much tread do you actually have above the wear tabs?

My rears are on the wear tabs, the fronts have roughly the same amount of tread as when I bought the car.

I tend to prefer to replace tires in (2)'s on FWD mainly to save cash, oddly enough its seemed to work thus far.

Then I just flip my summer winter tires in a tire rotation when the season changes. Winter tires usually last forever on the rear and have much less of an impact on my FE in that spot.

Cheers
Ryan