View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hello,

Here's what i would look at:

The fuel consumption is given as ~59mpg for the 125cc version, and 54mpg for the 250cc version. I like the stability, and the lack of the need for a sidestand...
I'd like to see this go through an accident manuever course... Somehow I doubt it could be snapped over to full lean anywhere as quick as a normal scooter. Some of these things seem like solutions to problems that don't occur with good riding technique. I'd think in urban riding your safety is based on awareness and agility, not ultimate cornering grip.

Anyways back to the original request, do you want 100mpg before using driving techniques or after? I would go on the bigger end for a bike, I don't think they cost more to insure up to 249cc. Dual sport motorbikes would be good to learn on, the motorcycle courses here use them. They get you into a good position to see what's going on and control the bike, plus their tires aren't so unforgiving when you encounter sand and gravel on the road. They don't look cool but at 30-40 mph I don't think the lack of aerodynamics will matter much.
Here's a 1983 Honda XL185
Also, atleast in my area I would double the amount of money you want to spend, $1000-1200 can get you something to ride more than work on. I guess the small scooters could be found for less but not a motorcycle.
Ian