View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
LostSouthernStar
EcoModding Lurker

Camry Crusader - '01 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
No.

If you can cruise at 50 without constantly unlocking the torque converter or kicking down a gear (due to hills, for example) you will get better fuel economy there.

Aaah ok, awesome! I do have 2 highways I can take to my work, but one is a few miles longer with many more stops and more city driving required but the highway part of it has a 55 MPH speed limit and has more rolling hills....so that route would probably worsen my mileage...or am I wrong?

I think you're overestimating the speed at which your torque converter locks in top gear. It's likely closer to 40-45 than 50.

You know, now that you say that, I do notice that it kicks into overdrive around there...depending on how much I'm pressing on the accelerator.

Would it be ok to go 50 MPH in a 70 in the right lane???

Cruise control is fine if (a) you drive on dead flat roads, or (b) you're unable to modulate the pedal smoothly & consistently on your own.

I don't really have a dead flat commute, as there are a few "mounds" along the way but it doesn't cause my cruise control to accelerate dramatically to get over the hill.....I just wonder if it's costing me alot of MPGs. I guess my Ultrgauge will be able to tell me once I install it.

Miniscule difference; no difference; no difference.

Awesome, that's what I needed to know.