View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Just replaced the brake pads on my BMW 325is, and while in there I spent some time looking around and imagineering: I'm convinced that especially with both regen braking and anti-lock braking circuitry, rpm and torque management is quite feasible. Conventional brakes as drums or disks and callipers could be eliminated entirely, saving lots of unsprung wheel weight and reducing the energy previously needed to accelerate and decelerate the wheel. This, coupled with the reduced loads on the wheel itself meaning the wheel could be much lighter due to reduced wall thickness, mean that a wheel motor could be vastly lighter than a conventional wheel. No brake caliper, line, drum or disk would be needed. Such a lightened load means a thinner and lighter spindle, too, as well as a lighter spring.

What about air shocks and springs? I was at a tire shop today and noticed air bladder shocks/springs used for auxiliary dampening on trucks, etc.. Why couldn't the conventional metal spring/shock/strut assembly be replaced by an air shock/spring? Lighter, never wears out since it's just air inside, and adjustable via internal pressure. Anybody here have insight to share about how well air shocks/springs work, their merits and demerits?

Combined with lighter wheel motors, air shocks/springs could mean major reductions in weight.

Thoughts?