View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #68 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Its like that car has it backwards?
It has a high rpm, well seems high to me, my car has a 850 rpm neutral idle and 1000 rpm at cruise.
Wow, big numbers you are getting, are the figures 80 to 60's with the scangauge or at the pump?
This is scanguage while driving. Coasting same speed, same conditions, in gear is 25% more efficient. I thought so, too, regarding the Hugh engine r p m s, but it is a small SUV.. I shift around 1200 r p m in my car, but that is an auto for you. She has been trying more techniques, and get early Christmas present was a SCii, so we will find out her mileage Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat View Post
That is a lot of words. After reading I'm in need of a summary.

1. Coasting in gear engine on, uses more gas than coasting in neutral engine on. Is that right? Sc

2.coastin in neutral engine off is the best.

My two ton Volvo SW will haul booty in N. down a hill for a long time. Down a hill in gear it is a slug. Auto trans seens to not mind it much if I give it some gas as I engage the tranny at 35-40.. Sc
Every vehicle is different, is the point. My Mustang is more efficient in gear up to 25 ish. But that is because it will keep climbing by engine idle. Each car is different, with trans, and fuel cutoff. So the best way to know is instrumentation and testing.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.