View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #116 (permalink)
bobo333
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Do you have a rough Idle or rough running at speed? If its idle you can use a squirt gun full of water to spray all the vacuum hoses on at a time that should show up any leaks until the water is sucked in, then it will go back to rough idle. For rough at speed, it could be the distributor I would suspect the dist shaft bushing ,test it by removing the cap and grab the rotor and see if it moves or wobbles . just a guess
Its rough at speed, worst at low RPM/low load, it was running great on LPG until we hooked the petrol up again the other day, i thought we may have fouled the plugs when we were switching between LPG and petrol while testing the switch, il check the dist as well though

Quote:
Something is wrong. With the transmission in a direct drive gear, the engine should be running about 3000 RPM at 60 MPH. Either your tach is wrong (set for 6 cylinder, maybe?) or you are driving in 3rd gear of a 4 speed.

If it's just tach error, then I suggest that whoever looks at your carburetor check it over very carefully. You might be running a full rich power mixture all the time. Most carburetors have some sort of wide open throttle fuel enrichment. If that sticks open, your mileage will about half of what it should be.
Its a 4 speed manual gearbox so i know its definitely in 4th, it is likely that there is something wrong with the tacho, its definitely hooked up for 8 cyl though.

I have been running it only on LPG so far since i got it so the settings on the carby wont have much to do with anything (only the idle speed and throttle opening i think) the LPG has a separate mixer that could be at fault though.

Im still on the lookout for an affordable diff/gearbox swap, 351's seem to be a popular swap into Nissan Patrols so there is an adapter available for the Nissan gearbox, which has 5 speeds and much more even "car like" ratios, it should also be plenty strong enough as the Patrols are 4x4 and weigh more than my truck from the factory and have decent towing capacity too

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326