View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
roosterk0031
Master EcoModder

My first car with ABS was a 93 grand am, no memory, 2nd 94 explorer for 95% of drivers could maybe do better than the ABS does. 02 Mit Montero Sport only 2-3% could beat it. 02 suburban about the same, current wifes 2010 implala ABS & TC are almost perfect. Maybe 1/2 percent of driver can beat it in predictable(dry pavement) but doubt they'd be ready 100% of the time like the computer is, stomp on the pedal it does the thinking. It really needs the noise & feed back of the old explorer, impala is too smooth.

Rented at 2011 focus automated manual with ABS & TC, so seemless I pushed harder on the go pedal because TC was working(driving around Duluth MN last Feb.) it needs more feed back as well. Impala has a flashing light but noise would be a plus. Maybe 1% could beat them with pratice in the same exact situation that it's working without warning, but how often does that happen.

It's not a factor in buying a car for myself, but is for my wife and no way do I think I'm in the 1%. Then start factoring in when a car has 100,000 miles and the brakes aren't as balanced as they wear when new.