View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #105 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
I see that discussion went in a very serious direction so I just want to share an idea for fabricating dimples to a bellypan. Why just not drill or cut the holes in a coroplast or aluminium and close those with anopther piece of coroplast?

1 - bellypan
2 - additional layer of coroplast
3 - hole

What do you think of that?
Easy to do and might work aerodynamically if the edges of the holes were contoured or beveled. Otherwise, the sharp edges of the drilled dimple holes may make drag worse. Or better. Who knows without specific testing?

Since Corplast can be formed somewhat when heated, I'd thought about using a heated heavy iron ball (shot put heated in the oven) and place it on the flat Coroplast where I want dimples. The hot and heavy iron ball softens and distorts the Coro so the ball sinks down into it, forming the dimple. Repeat for other dimples.

Otherwise, I was talking to a guy yesterday who told me the Navy now paints its ships' hulls with a crinkle finish paint, essentially the same stuff as sold in rattle cans at the hardware store. Reportedly, the crinkle finish paint texture emulates shark skin, dampening turbulence or keeping it attached, reducing drag. Anybody heard of this? Thoughts?