View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Otto,

I had considered just making a foam/fiberglass cover, though I hadn’t thought of making it removable. Honestly that is the best option when you are only considering fuel efficiency. The issues with this option are that my current bumper isn’t anywhere near push rated (chrome and plastic) and while that option would increase the safety of the passengers for crashes above the current level, it wouldn’t do much to help the vehicle survive impacts.

I want a "push rated" bumper not just for pushing things, but also for hitting a deer or something like that. A guy in town has a similar truck with a fancy push bumper (not aerodynamic) that he has hit two deer with, and the truck was not damaged at all. If I hit a deer with my current setup, the truck would be very badly damaged. The problem with the normal bolt it right to frame push bumper is that you have no crumple zone, so if you hit something bigger than a deer, like a oak tree, your vehicle is significantly less safe.

I want a vehicle that is safe for me, safe for others, durable, and fuel efficient. I am looking for the best option to balance all these factors.