View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If you're stuck in stop & crawl traffic, you probably already know your goal should be playing the accordion: avoid coming to a stop. Let the vehicle in front stop and go, while you idle along behind it (like you see the big trucks doing) minimizing braking. You'll still have horrid mileage, just not as horrid as the car in front of you.

If your drive is as bad as that, your better options may be along the lines of shifting your commute time to avoid the traffic peak (if possible), public transit (for all or part of the trip) or biking (depending on distance).

As for highway, regardless of that AF map, I'd bet you a timbit you'll still find your lowest consumption is just after top gear engages.
thanks i have also come to the conclusion that my best option would be public transport in order to save cash. but being as i live in the suburbs that's not possible. unless i take the go train and park at the incredibly packed parking lot (if i find a spot) and pay more for a round trip than i pay for gas. so unfortunately i have to keep driving. i have started avoiding traffic by changing my times and it seems to be the best improvement ever so far. my overdrive engages at 30mph. not only is 2.5L too big for me in the city but it is also a full time 4wd drive-train.