View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #42 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
No benefit you'll see in MPG gains I feel, remember we need to change the shape of the car in the back in order to realize gains, this adds 3 inches to the rear window on a car that has been wind tunnel optimized by Ford I'm sure. When I say I think it has been "optimized" I mean the shape of the rear cabin pillars, the rear glass, and trunk have been designed so it does not create large MPG sucking vortices. When you upset this balance, you run the risk of creating vortices due by having created unintended pressure differences.

So yeah, maybe you have better "Attached Flow" (which I feel is crap since attached flow is NOT the goal, it is merely a condition that needs to exist for optimum efficiency to be achieved. It's like saying if you get the spark on your engine to work, it'll run perfect, never mind the fuel & air thing.) but, if you create an undesirable vortex situation by having better attached flow, your modification will be a break even at best, or will have a detrimental effect on the MPG at worst. In the case of the louvers for the Mustang, my gut feeling is it looks to be a tossup. But I'm pretty certain it would not be a significant gain.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-27-2012)