View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
ev99saturn
EcoModding Lurker

Snake Oil - '10 Factory Five Racing Mk4
90 day: 77 mpg (US)
The tires are BF Goodrich g-force Super Sport 245/45 R17 on the front and g-force Drag Radials 315/35 R17 on the rear.

I plan to bring the car to the local drag strip next year, after I have completed building all of the battery packs, and get it up to full power. So the tire choices were with that goal in mind.

A number of people have suggested that with that much power and low weight, getting the rear tires to hook up will be a problem, so I went as wide and sticky as I could.... and helped clobber the range in the process. Everything is a trade-off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My first thought was also that the motor was spinning to slow, but 2,500 RPM is pretty reasonable for 50mph and the motor is over sized for the weight of the car that it's never under a high load so I wouldn't be surprised if it never sees over 200 amps because that motor does just fine with a 4,000 pound vehicle like a pickup truck that also has that kind of drag.

There are some 225/50R17 tires that are also around 805 revs per mile that have low rolling resistance options, I would have to do a little more searching to see if there is slightly wider tire that is a LRR tire, but the load range on a tire like that is still well below the weight of your car that you are not going to be coming even close to pushing the limits of what the tire can handle.
Do you know what brand and model of tire you have on right now? just so we all have a better idea.