View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Last I checked, a universal weld in yourself (or use clamps) was less than $100 too.
not in over regulated California, unfortunately... take the cost of any quality '49-state' cat , and add about $125 to the price. You won't find an out of state parts house that will ship a 49 state cat to California, or risk a huge federal fine. Same with an instal shop. They can only instal replacement cats with a CARB number on them. I recently looked at all possible angles.

Supposedly, these new and improved California catalytic converters have a higher platinum content, burn that many more leftover unburned hydro carbons and convert that much more NOx (I guess) for cleaner emissions out the tailpipe. BTW, Cali has decreased the allowable emission out the tailpipe over the years for older cars, as a way of getting older cars off the road. A new and improved cat might clean up an older car enough to now pass smog testing. The higher platinum content, the lower production numbers, and the CARB tracking were sited by a manufacture's rep as the price jump justification.

I'm only moaning about it because I just went through this a year ago, felt like I'd lost my virginity and was tossed out into the street after the smog and the muffler shop had their filthy way with me and my wallet

Washing: If it were me, before I invested much time in the concept, I'd research the various failure mechanisms by which catalytic converters stop being effective. The reactive metals in the ceramic might be only a coating for instance. If this is the case, and the failure is that the coating has fallen off, no amount or washing will rejuvenate the finicky little device.

On the other hand, there are a lot of cars with cats in California, big market, money to be made if your idea works.

Last edited by metromizer; 09-29-2012 at 11:04 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to metromizer For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (09-29-2012)