View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
sdecoman
EcoModding Lurker

Lurker from South Dakota

Greetings to all. I have been reading the posts on "our" site for a couple of months and had decided to make some changes to a '91 Honda Civic DX hatchback 5-speed. It has a 95hp 1.5 stock engine. I have only been calculating my gas mileage by using the odometer so far. The car has 126,000+ miles and the only previous mods were Mobil 1 in the crankcase and transmission and a cold air filter in the passenger side wheel well. Last year I changed to LRR tires all the way around.

This year so far: full moon hub cabs on all four wheels, commercial front spoiler, DIY thin aluminum sheet covering the grill area, removal of all four mud flaps, deleted outside mirror and added extra long clip on inside mirror with extra round mirror to eliminate drivers side blind spot, and removal of rear spoiler (and filling in gaps and mounting holes with caulking). I also reinstalled the stock air filter box and routed a piece of stainless steel exhaust pipe from the area of the exhaust manifold to the hole in the air filter box. This weekend I am finishing the installation of the front spoiler and rerouting the exhaust from crosswise to straight out the back so I can try attaching an ABS belly pan from the rear bumper to the rear suspension. I am also thinking of how I can work out a belly pan for the front and sides and air deflectors for behind the tires.

I didn't know if I would notice any difference right away, but I have been amazed. I have been coasting down any grades I come to and whenever traffic slows in front of me and when coming to a red light. The car seems to move easier, maintain speed of even gain speed with the clutch disengaged on the slightest incline. My gas mileage appears to be increasing quite a bit although I'm still working on my present tank full. I am using 85 octane and my last tank full with the old cold air and synthetic oils and LRR tires gave me 42.1 mpg. This time when the gas gauge got to half full my trip mileage indicator read 257 miles which on a ten gallon tank could result in 50+ mpg. The gas gauge usually falls faster on the second half tank so time will tell.

So far, no unusual sounds from the engine since using the heated air from around the exhaust manifold. I think that's because I haven't done anything about installing a switch for the electric radiator fan and its coming on sooner. I have seen the temperature gauge needle go down a few needle widths while driving and that had not happened before.

That about sums up what I have been doing in order to do my part in using less gas. I do have a question for any of you more experienced modders.

I have, yes, a gas guzzler truck....

Note from Admin: moved aero question about the truck into the Aerodynamics subforum. See: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...top-23513.html

Didn't mean to be so long winded. Just think of this as my introduction, modification history and troubleshooting message.

Any help or opinions on the spoiler thingy for my pickup would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Beno