View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I would be careful of fitting "bad" or "crap" tyres on the back, even in an FWD car - the rear does a lot more than just being dragged along, and if grip is the issue then understeer is easier to handle for most drivers - lift off, brake etc. A lot of tyre places here (UK) will only fit new tyres to the rear, and move rear ones to the front and most cars are FWD, very few RWD (BMW/Merc mostly) and very few trucks.

Just my 2p.
By crap I meant sporty High RR tires meant for looks not LRR.

But in any event I never did understand why oversteer was hard to handle. I have driven a lot of FWD and even on my cobalt a skid seems to be much more enjoyable than understeer where I have to rapidly turn the wheel back and forth to try to turn. which is quite never racking as you head toward an obstacle head on, oversteer I can sort of avoid and move still and if the backend hits its less dangerous to me at least

When in a skid two things I find desirable happen
1. I loose speed (like braking)
2. I can easily make it stop by doing some recommended and unrecommended things, oddly on my car turning hard and blipping the brake makes it instantly stop. Sometimes just turning the wheel or hitting the gas and turning the wheel work as well. In the winter I've found I can 360 and straighten (but only for fun)

Cheers
Ryan