View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
By crap I meant sporty High RR tires meant for looks not LRR.

But in any event I never did understand why oversteer was hard to handle. I have driven a lot of FWD and even on my cobalt a skid seems to be much more enjoyable than understeer where I have to rapidly turn the wheel back and forth to try to turn. which is quite never racking as you head toward an obstacle head on, oversteer I can sort of avoid and move still and if the backend hits its less dangerous to me at least

When in a skid two things I find desirable happen
1. I loose speed (like braking)
2. I can easily make it stop by doing some recommended and unrecommended things, oddly on my car turning hard and blipping the brake makes it instantly stop. Sometimes just turning the wheel or hitting the gas and turning the wheel work as well. In the winter I've found I can 360 and straighten (but only for fun)

Cheers
Ryan
OK - by crappy I thought you meant the older tyres - the recommendation here is to put new tyres on the rear, and move the older ones to the front. I will be doing this with both our cars when they need doing.

Understeer is added to most cars for safety - if the front end slides then generally people lift off and the front tucks back in. If it combines with a lighter rear end then people panic, hit the brakes and spin or hit something.

I have no problem with oversteer and FWD, I find it fun - but for Mr or Mrs Commuter on a wet corner late at night it is not a good idea. And you also can't guarantee the rear hitting what you are heading towards, it could be the drivers door