View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
Thanks for sharing! What if more is less?

First post here. Great site.

Oddly, this immediatly made me think of the Subaru Outback Wagon cladding.

Added to a regular car, to mimic what an Insight design has.

It seems that if the front bumper / air dam / spats end at the plane of the front wheel, it is maybe helpful to then make the body behind the front wheel, all the way to the front of the back wheel well, about 1" or so further out, and NOT in the same plane. A smooth transition from these 2 planes is what the Insight has, especially from your head on view picture.

It gives the wheel well air a nice exit path to the rest of the side for laminar flow along the body, instead of below the car, or to a side wake, or to continued turbulence in the wheel well itself?

I can't post pics yet, but maybe you can envision a outward tapered surface the height of the back of the front wheel well, going along the length of the car? It is between the front wheel well and the front door that this taper could occu.r

Continue that width increase to the back and now we have back wheels that are tucked in that same amount that body width was increased, not unlike the back wheels of the insight tucked in?

Thanks for the great site. I will be sharing my mods on my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx as time goes on.

Last edited by WesternStarSCR; 10-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Clarified. Idea is for every other car, not an Insight.