View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
That's an EJ25 engine right? Nice! I wish I could tune my engine to run lean like that as the engine load level is just way too low for efficiency on the highway, but air fuel controllers cost too much.

What did you do to the AVLS? As I understand you have a SOHC motor so you can't have the high lift lob engage and mess with the phasing.
i'm not a tuning expert so im not sure, however you can read a thread about it here on nasioc:
Is it worth modifying the AVLS in our cars via engine management or hardware? - NASIOC

this thread is mostly discussing possible power gains and not economical gains. but i think my tuner just did the opposite. he basically built a circuit to prevent ecu from engaging high cam profile between 1500-2500rpm. so i'm operating in low lift below 2500rpm and high lift above that. to honest the circuit is not worth the trouble, and i have discontinued using it and i have not seen much difference in MPG since. but the throttle is more sensitive now and you have to feather it like it's made of eggshells.

also i have not seen much of a relationship between low engine load and poor MPG. in fact it has been the opposite for me. you can see in the video im in about 35% engine load and getting near 40mpg. if my engine load was higher, say 48% i would be getting 30mpg only. i only monitor LOD during acceleration to keep it in 80-90% range at 2500rpm.