View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat View Post
Ok here are the pics. The front skirt is bending under the car. Bad?
The rear wheel covers, Seem ok but a racer guy said it creates turbulance, The spoiler, x-cookie pan, looks like its ok, or is it? SC
*I think (as others) that skirts are okay.Taping/sealing the leading edges would optimize them.
*I recently pushed the nose of my truck forward,with a flexible lower urethane rubber airdam which lays back just a few degrees which forces the air to travel up and around,and shearing off the airstream at the bottom 6-inches with a hard edge.I'm recording the highest-ever mpg with this nose configuration.You'll see many manufacturers doing it today.
*A square-back body,as on your car does not produce lift.And the base pressure of the wake is fed from a perimeter separation line of near uniform pressure.Since your spoiler is 'open',the wake underneath is still receiving pressures telegraphed from the side edges ahead of the spoiler.
The only way to reduce the drag of the low base pressure is to move the whole back of the car further rearward with a boat tail elongation which will simultaneously reduce the wake size and increase the base pressure behind the new 'transom.'