View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEV View Post
See response at the dimples thread. But basically, what works is the proof, and theories are not proof of anything and never have been.
ACEV, I first came to Ecomodder.com 3 years ago wondering how to make dimples on my truck without adding 600lbs of clay. I was wondering why it wasn't done everywhere, then I got edjumacated. Golf ball dimples don't have the desired effect on cars.

But, don't take my word for it.

Here's an article from a few years back written with Gary Eaker, a former GM & Hendrick Motorsports aerodynamicist.

You're looking for:

Quote:
Aero Stuff That Doesn't Really Matter
In addition to our list of five tricks that almost always work, here are some things A2 customers might want to try that are really a waste of time.

Golf-ball dimples: They do not work on cars, regardless of the scale of the dimples, unless your car is a 1.68-inch-diameter sphere spinning through the air with no ground plane.
Hot Rod Magazine - Car Aerodynamics Wind Camp Tech Theory

Mr. Eaker has a crazy amount of experience with aerodynamics, ACEV, you basically are saying to him that he is completely full of crap. Are you really that small minded? Aerohead as well is saying dimples are crap.

So you're saying because a pop-science TV entertainment program tested it and found an encouraging result, that settles it, dimples work.

ACEV put your money where your mouth is and test it again, you make the claim that dimples work, you prove beyond a doubt that they do. It isn't up to us to prove they don't, that ain't how science works. You say they enhance significantly, it's up to you to show how significant. Mythbusters does not count as your proof.

It's like you come in here and say you've been to the Moon in your VW Beetle, when we say, "Great, show us some pictures or something." You reply, "You show me pictures that prove I wasn't on the Moon." See what I mean? Quit that. You look really silly. Start seeming intelligent please.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-05-2017)