Thread: Engine Braking
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobombat View Post
Okay that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
Personally, I base my shift point less on the RPMs and more on speed. I find the lowest speeds I can go in each gear without lugging and shift into that gear at that speed. That way I can operate the car at almost WOT and low rpm's for more of my acceleration time than normal.
Also, BSFC charts are few and far between, but is there any way that we can determine BSFC charts for our own engine? For example, run some tests and figure out fuel consumption at certain points of throttle and rpm, then plot them and come up with a rough bfsc chart where we can roughly determine the sweet spot to shoot for. Has anyone done this before, or is there no way to do this as an individual?
Need a dyno that can put a variable load on wheels. If you have the engine out you need less parts but it's still hard to do. Then you also need something that accurately measures the fuel flow.

I think ultimately, there's no need to worry too much about how you're accelerating, because on the road it's more important to pay attention to traffic and stuff. The best we can do is try to shift up whenever we don't need power and try to strike a compromise between ideal load/rpm and ease of controlling power. Small engines probably aren't super efficient under 2000rpm in general but being slightly less efficient is okay if the lower amount of power available makes it easier to fine tune your acceleration in traffic and reduce energy wasted to braking. At least that's how I drive.