View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Neat little computer. What didn't seem obvious is the input and display options.
For input the PI has 2 USB ports, which I use for a keyboard and a mouse but you can plug in a port and extend this if you wish. For output it has an RCA (i.e. old style TV) connector and a HDMI interface which allows it to plug into most TVs available today. I use a cheap (£7) HDMI to VGA adaptor to use mine on a computer monitor.

It also has a LAN connector and Audio - this is the diagram at the site.

Power comes from a Micro USB port, a lot of mobile phone adaptors work - my work Samsung Galaxy S2 works fine.

There are some cases available including a cardboard box, a cigarette packet and lego - all plans are on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
At home we use a 10 year old office desk top running Ubuntu. Works pretty well.
I use Ubuntu on a netbook which is about 8-10x as fast as the machine I used 10 years ago but its still slow.

The PI can run Debian or Fedora (there are distros linked to by the website) from an SD card. I have an 8GB one with Debian on it.

The PI is probably not a computer to use for business critical or mission critical tasks, although some users have that in mind. It is a hobbyist thing so far.