View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
GMPG
EcoModding Lurker

Pics: Pictures will have to wait until I find the "safe place" where I stuck my SD card... best way to lose things it to store them safely it seems...

Before I left on my road trip I installed a full upper grille block and a 90% lower grill block. I left a small opening in the center of the lower grill block that was the width of the license plate and about 2in high. I also installed an air dam that came to about 3.25in above the ground.

Here are some mileage numbers from the trip down to GA and back to NY.

The first tank was 12.2 gallons for 465 miles or 38.11mpg, already a best ever mpg for this car even though it started off with 20mi or so of semi-urban driving. (Binghamton, NY to Roanoke, VA)

The second tank I'm missing the note with the miles and gallons but it had worked out to 39.05mpg! (Roanoke to near Chattanooga, TN)

The third tank took me from Chattanooga to Atlanta with a good dose of ATL driving/five lane parking. 179.9mi for 5.06gal or 35.55mpg which is about on par with my previous best highway miles before aero-mods.

Fourth tank took me 485mi from Spartanburg, SC to Chambersburg, PA on 12.8 gallons for 37.89mpg. This included a roughly 25mi detour off the highway onto back roads with an approximate 1200ft climb over 12ish miles. From i81 to the VW/WV border to camp for the night. Being small and twisty roads I was only able to regain part of the loss from climbing.

Fifth tank is the charm! Chambersburg, PA to Home, NY covering 299mi with 7.4 gallons for 40.4mpg! WOOO!!!!!

Obviously these were all fill ups at different pumps but all mpg figures were within .25mpg of what the Ultra Gauge said as well so I feel like I can honestly say I met and beat my 40mpg goal for this car.

Also keep in mind that this was NOT eco driving, or at least not more so than the way I've driven for years. I'm usually about 5mph over the limit, draft casually where I can and coast down long hills. I wanted to hit 40mpg without drastically altering my driving style or schedule. I know I could do much better at a slower speed, even keeping to the posted speed, but that wasn't the goal here.

I will SURELY be doing some mods to my Jetta although I doubt I'll be duct taping #$@& all over the nose of it.

I should be posting pics up by mid week, I'm pretty sure my SD card is rolled up in a tent...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMPG For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-08-2012), MetroMPG (10-06-2012)