Thread: Engine Braking
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobombat View Post
There is some truth to that. For example, I never do P&G in traffic jams as that helps to stop up traffic and is extremely hard not to brake more. However, as traffic permits, I really do think it best to operate the engine as efficiently as possible. As long as you need the power and it wont be converted into brake heat, it doesn't significantly matter how long or in what matter you accelerate, but rather how efficiently the power is produced.

And concerning BSFC charts, it would be smart for dyno centers to offer to produce BSFC charts for vehicles they test. I bet it would cost a lot though.
Right, but you can never predict what's going to happen, and the miniscule gains you make from staying in this gear instead of that gear for 0.5 seconds longer can easily be wiped out, so I think it's best to not sweat it too much.

Producing BSFC charts isn't just about measuring the power accurately, you also need to measure the fuel flow rate accurately! That's not that easy. 3 gallons per hour fuel flow rate for example is only 0.05 gallons per minute which is under 250 mL a minute, or ~4mL per second. Can't just run the engine for like 20 seconds at a time, because then you'd be sitting on that dyno for quite a while, as you'd have hundreds of points to test.