View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
nickleinonen
EcoModding Lurker

truck... - '04 dodge ram 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
a auto-trans have one-way spags in them

so do the turbochargers on the emd diesel engines i work on.. they are 2 cycle diesels, and the turbo is gear driven through the clutch to act as a blower for scavanging until the drive pressure/heat is enough to overcome the clutch then it acts as a regular turbocharger..

the sprag is a great idea for this idea, but it needs to be sized properly to be strong enough.

Quote:
I always thought it might be cool to mount a motor under the bed of the truck to run a toothed belt to the driveshaft, and a super heavy duty AC clutch to take the motor load off when running straight ICE.
i have had similar dreams.. another idea could be having a transfer case on a 2wd truck and having the electric motor mounted to where the front driveshaft would be. pop the trans in neutral and transfer case into 4x4 and you could power the rear axle through the transfer case.

another idea is in prototyping now by variable torque motors.. a driveshaft mounted electric motor assist for the ICE.. very neat idea but going to be expensive i think

http://www.variabletorquemotors.com/...%20Writeup.pdf

Last edited by nickleinonen; 06-10-2008 at 10:21 AM..