View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #100 (permalink)
a8ksh4
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I skipped how I do the layup, it goes something like this: For a wet layup we usually spray glue the composite onto the foam and then paint on the epoxy and use the peel ply.
So I could probably tack my cloth to the shell, paint in the resin, lay the rip-stop nylon/peel ply over top, and squeegee out the excess resin? Then pull the nylon off once it starts to set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothrush View Post
What weight is your cloth?
The sample I picked up was 8.8oz twill. Once the glass is on, I'm planning on doing a thin layer of polyester filler, primer, block sand, primer, and roll on enamel white paint (something else that I've been wanting to test for next time I need to paint a car). Might be nice to run through this whole process on a sample piece of foam to see how it works.

For most of the shell, a single layer of glass should be good. I'd really just like to double up and add strength around the edges and joints between surfaces, so I'll overlap the outside layer of glass with the inside layer where the shell meets with the cab as well as adding an additional 3" wide strip in the corner where the panel behind the cab meets w/ the outside of the shell and similarly at the back.

Like you guys are suggesting, it might be really simple just to have four hinged legs that drop into place as I lift each side of the shell up successively. The shell will clear the cab raising it like that. I would just have to come up with a door design on the back that works with that kind of lift... hmm...