Thread: drafting semi's
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #71 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
43 feet from the beginning of one stripe to the beginning of the next stripe. 3 stripes is 129 feet 4 is 172 feet. 60 MPH is just under 90 feet per second (1.47 feet per second = 1 MPH). 2 seconds separation at 180 feet at 60 MPH woud be a little more than 4 stripes separation which would be 172 feet. If you keep whole stripes between you then you add the length of the stripe itself. I like 3 whole stripes separation and a little to the left in the lane so the trucker can see me.

I also like to find the trucks with the rear end closed in the middle, like the UPS tandems (2 trailers). Busses are even better and towed trailers with low ground clearance. I had a trucker 15 feet off my tail today at 63 MPH with the speed limit at 60 in the right lane of 3 lanes merging into two lanes. I dont give a crap what that idiot likes or dislikes about me drafting him in bumper to bumper traffic.

In ten miles of ludricously agressive driving he managed to get 200 yards ahead of me. I was tempted to call the number on the back of his rig and report him, or even take a couple of pictures of his stupidity and send them to the company.

Normally it's a more symbiotic relationship.

regards
Mech