View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Initial air dam, needs more work

Here's what I got done last night:

I used jack-nuts (a.k.a. screwdriver installed rivet-nuts) for attachment. This is my first time using them, and I really like jack-nuts, particularly for fastening stuff onto a plastic bumper. Reversibility is not as good as some other fasteners because of a larger drill hole. If I took the mod off I could paint the jacknuts or maybe drill them out and putty and paint (but I'm set against totally reversing a good mod anyway, even for a prospective buyer. Find me someone who likes the mod instead). Jack-nuts are fairly easy to install, easy and quick to remove the mod, they're not too expensive (less than $0.50 per location), and the fastening is really quite strong and durable. I ordered them from McMaster.

Todo:
  • Try heat gun to soften corners and then push leading edge even farther forward.
  • Add air inlet and ducting.
  • Add braces in the middle for rigidity at high speed.
  • Maybe add features on bottom to smooth underflow (radius bottom edge, panel to cover underside gap)
  • Paint it black (except over the blinkers). Some folks may really dig the stealth look. I'm okay with it, but I'd much rather have a more blatant ecomodder look, as long as it looks smooth and relatively attractive. Because I'm an evangelical ecomodder. Anyways the crystal clear probably won't look that great when it gets mud on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-09 Air Dam Step 1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	11623  

Last edited by christofoo; 10-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: (Sven7's todo reminders)