View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Why do you think drum brakes are a problem for RR?
I can feel more drag when the car is cold. I had a test on my "bullnose" that demonstrated higher drag when cold (rather than finding the aero effect of the bullnose that I was looking for). Sometimes I think I can hear the rear brakes when cold. Can't say I know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
The clear air dam is kinda cool but you're probably right in painting it. Do be sure to cover the hole it's creating underneath, or the air may just swirl under there. Do you know if it stays stable and keeps it shape up to about 90mph? Figuring a 60mph cruise with 30mph head winds...
I'm still debating what to do with the hole on the underside. I believe several ecomodders have left the edge harsh and still had positive results, although I doubt that's optimal... I might split some pipe insulation or large rubber hose into half-cylinders and add it to give the bottom edge a radius, then do a little coroplast to close up the bottom. Surely that would help.

I forgot to mention in my todo; you're right that I need a pair of braces in the middle; I'm pretty sure it bends in the wind. I have a little video camera I can strap to the lower grill temporarily to verify rigidity at speed. That should make for some fun shots too, assuming I manage not to lose my camera.

Last edited by christofoo; 10-10-2012 at 12:08 PM..