View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #70 (permalink)
flying kurmaster
EcoModding Lurker

update on kurbmaster camper

Just back from my sejours in Canada, managed to get more work done inside and some ecomoding on the Kurbmaster. I installed a camback, angled 10 degree wings down the sides at the back, made out of alluminium, I fabricated fender skirts out of alluminium checker plate and installed them, I found a small air dam off another truck and installed it with plans of adding an alluminium extension onto it in the futur. I started a belly pan and got two sides done from the front suspension to the rear with 24 inch sheets of alluminium. My plan is to join both sides in the middle with three more pieces like fish fins with openings toward the back to let hot air from exhaust system disipate, also allowing air to flow around the transmision for cooling and direct air over differential. I installed an air dam between the front and rear wheels. For this I extruded a length of evesthrough bent the back side over on an angle and mounted it upside down along the side. The benfits, so far, have been modest, I did a bit of testing on the camback rear wings and fender skirts, with little gain but testing was done on first run of any distance after van sat for 10 months so possibly some residue of old fuel and perhaps some sticky jets etc..??? I have since changed the angle of the camback installed the partial belly pan, front dam and side dam but have not tested it. I also installed the spare to the front of the van which may have been creating drag, when I tested it. I am still on or abouts 16mpg give or take a tenth. Two very noticable positives are, the van is quieter, and far more stable. I used to be comfortable cruising at 80kph with her now I am very comfortable at 90 and even 95kph she sits a lot better on the road.
I hope these pictures work out I loaded some of these in my album but can;t get them