View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #68 (permalink)
non-prophet
EcoModding Lurker

SoulWagon - '04 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
I would like to revive this thread if possible. I've been searching the last few weeks for a vehicle within my price range that can carry a payload of 1500 pounds and 4 adults on long distance trips so I can take my band on a few 10 day tours around Ontario, Quebec, New York, Ohio, etc.

IT's brutal, I can only afford 7000 MAX with all mods all in. I've been trying to find an adequate pickup truck, but it's very hard in that price range. The possibility that popped up was a very well maintained 2004 Yukon XL... remember, I can't buy a rust box and hope for the best after spending a year fixing it up.

I have a small car for getting around the city otherwise, and this is primarily for long trips. I have managed to get some excellent tanks out of my corolla, the best being a 800km tank on a trip to montreal and Ottawa.

I expect to put 20,000 km on the truck i get this coming year. 20,000km at 13L/100km is looking like 3300 dollars in gas at 1.30 a litre here. I'm really stuck. I test drove the yukon extensively when it came up as an option, and I couldn't get it to act reasonably on gas (going by feeling, and rpm read out at various speeds - no scan gauge or anything in test drive).

First question.... can the AWD in the yukon be disconnected in some way to make it 2wd?

Seriously, the thing feels like it's eating gas. I test drove a diesel f250 and it seemed to be doing far better... way out of my price range though.