View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
non-prophet
EcoModding Lurker

SoulWagon - '04 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
A van isn't better. I pickup truck with a cap is a better option. Imagine what 1500 lbs of gear would look like. It will barely fit in the yukon.

Vans are ****ty to drive, and safety is a big concern. Sometimes I'm stuck driving to and from out of town shows in 50mm of rain, and fog, snow and hail... so the 4wd option is good to have.

Ideally, spatially, a 6.5 foot bed or so, with a cap is the easiest, because I can use ramps for the heavy stuff on wheels, and I won't destroy the interior.

I just haven't found a suitable option in my price range, and I'm running out of time before the next trip.

Back to the trailer option... I know that almost anything can tow a trailer, the question is more, how much gas mileage will you lose... I think it's a zero-sum gain option. Trailer is less safe for the gear, and makes the driving far more complicated. Imagine driving 800km after playing a show to arrive in New York or Chicago during morning rush hour, and dealing with a trailer while maneuvering through traffic.