View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Too bad "Needs" aren't actual ones Eh?

If they didn't have all that crap they wouldn't need welfare!

When I was a kid my father broke his back and was permanently disabled and could not find work because no one wanted to hire a liability.

My folks had a house that wasn't paid for and had an ancient beater (hmm a rambler in the 80's), they were having trouble paying bills and providing food and looked into getting welfare. They were told unless they lost the car, house and everything else they did not qualify. They couldn't easily sell the house because they owed almost the full value anyway and the $50 car was basically worthless back then (only 1 & 3 worked on the tree)

I ended up only getting whatever food they could grow out of the garden and whatever deer my father could hunt, needless to say I was very skinny. I did get free school lunches (eventually)

Odd how times change, a good reason to make it easy to get on welfare and even easier to get back off.

The trouble is if these people have no job to get and no skilz, what then, put them and the kids in the street or maybe put the kids in foster homes?

No good solution there.
I have no problem with someone who needs assistance like in your families case, thats what it is there for. The guy that used to live across the street was abusing the system, he was proud of the fact that he didn't have to work.