View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
jm283611
EcoModding Lurker

the civic - '96 honda civic ex
turbo for better mpg

so I've been searching around and haven't come up with a good answer and would like to try it, but I'm looking for some input, I have read that turbos have the potential to increase mpg, I have a 1996 civic ex 5 speed 2 door, I get 34mpg with the ac on, 37mpg with it off, running usually 60-65 but up to 70-75 (32 mpg with the ac on) I would like to try to hit 40+ on a regular basis, the car is bone stock as it sits. My thought is to add a turbo, without an intercooler, run less than 6lbs of boost (7 is max on stock internals) and maybe keep it on the lean side (adding a wide band O2?) also I have a thow out bearing that's gonna go out soon, so when I tear that apart maybe swap the trans for an hx or something, any thoughts? ideas? anyone done this? I'm back and forth west Virginia quite a bit in the summer and that's the reason for the 70mph, right now I drive to Athens for school (OU oh yeah) so 55-60 is the speed limit for my winter drives, right now at 55 my car spins 2500 rpm. and I also know I will have to use premium fuel, I ran a tank through before and so no improvement so I'm still running 87