View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #64 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
OK ... sorry for the long delay, but as I mentioned I took a trip to Tulsa this past week ... 1500 miles 1 way, with the most eco non friendly driver on the block .. So I posed this challenge, let him drive up recording mileage then I will apply my techniques driving back to record the differences ..

Here are pics of the test subject ..

We even had the vehicle weighed before leaving because he has truck scales at work and were stunned to learn that with 2 occupants, luggage, a stereo system and a full tank of gas we were 700lbs OVER GVWR !!

Anyhow, the only thing we did to this vehicle for his drive up was add ACETONE after the 1st tank. Here are the results;

-1st Tank (baseline) 18mpg (Average speed by GPS 79mph)
-2nd Tank 1oz Acetone per 10 gal 22.4mpg (Average speed by GPS 77mph)
-3rd Tank 1oz Acetone 23.75 mpg (average speed by GPS 77.8mph)
-4th Tank 2oz Acetone 21.75 mpg (average speed by GPS 74.1mph) Mountains here
-5th Tank 1oz Acetone 24.4 mpg (Average speed by GPS 72.2mph)

OK that is as inconsistent as it gets, but still there were improvements. Now for the trip home me driving, no mods to the vehicle, all I practiced was speed control and coasting whenever possible.

-1st Tank 1oz Acetone 28.7 mpg (Average speed by GPS 65.2 mph)
-2nd Tank 1oz Acetone 33.5 mpg (Average speed by GPS 64.8 mph)
-3rd Tank 2oz Acetone 34.7 mpg (average speed by GPS 64.9 mph) Mountain run
-4th Tank 1oz Acetone 35.9 mpg (average speed by GPS 60.2 mph)

Now, these numbers impressed even me considering the extra weight and how badly this vehicle coasts. It also convinced the owner that he needs to slow down. As far as tank range, we went from 240 miles between fills to a whopping 370 miles between fills. PLus driving my way added 3 hours on a 20 hour drive, which we broke up over 2 days.

So in the end we saved a complete tank of gas, actually a tank and a half because we made it back before hitting the half tank line.

Say what you will I still believe in the effects of acetone and have seen positive results in every vehicle I have tried it in. I have seen that I get no more gain out of using 2oz than 1oz, so I will stick to that ratio and enjoy the ride. Tonight I will update the 4-runner logs and post its results. Enjoy

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???