View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #84 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
I've been mumbling about doing this for a couple of years but have resisted mainly because my old BMW although inefficient is so much fun .

With our regulations it would have to be a pre 1975 Royal Enfield, which a bit rare but I DO know where one is. Pre 75 and our registration guys don't care what you do.

Using the calculator at top of the page Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com I worked out that I'd need a drag coefficient of around 6 to get sufficient "performance" from the 10 hp
to make it ridable at highway speeds. I reckon 65/70 mph is possible, without a very efficient fairing ,maybe 55?
There are many Enfield Taurus motorcycles in India with a 6hp version of the 350cc engine used in the gassers, which had 18hp. There are many industrial single-cylinder Diesels rated at 10 to 13hp at 3000RPM in the 400-500cc displacement range, good enought to an old Royal Enfield to get at least some 55 MPH, altough 65 doesn't sound so hard to get with some mild tuning.