View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
One day we had a little competition. Going to the movies, i bet her an icecream sundae that i could drive there and get better mpg on the way there than she would on the back.... i was able to achieve 44mpg displayed...

She was able to achieve 38mpg on the way home. Her previous average was 35mpg.

So she was able to achieve a 10% improvement just by watching the gauge and learning how different driving styles influence it!
Buy her the icecream sundae just for putting up with what I imagine is the most boring topic in the world to a woman, and applying what you taught her. It's a rare woman (or man for that matter) that cares to pay attention to topics of efficiency, or how things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night9 View Post
My fuel economy has improved but isn't as good as the EPA numbers because of all the waiting in the schools car pool line (which I avoid at all costs) and driving up and down massive hills to and from work that kills my fuel economy.
The fact that you carpool more than makes up for the wasted fuel waiting in line. I don't know why hills are killing your FE, because they have always provided a massive boost to mine. Are you able to coast in neutral on the downhill portions?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!