View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Needing to burn some more gas so I could fill up and "calibrate" my new ScanGauge, I decided to try a couple of things. First off, to get a better baseline, I did 3 sets of two-way passes. Also, to make it go a bit faster, and thinking it would show aerodynamic differences better, - and to "fit" in with traffic in the 45, 50, and 55 mph speed limits along this section of road, I chose 50 mph to test at rather than the 40 mph "best mileage speed" my earlier test showed. The results were:

speed - MPG (3 set average)
50 - - - 30.95
50 - - - 30.95
50 - - - 30.8

OK, good, consistant data. Now to check something I've always been curious about - will "folding my mirrors in" improve mileage at all, and if so, how much? So, without turning off the engine or the cruise control, I "folded the mirrors" and did another 3 sets. The results were:

speed - MPG (3 set average)
50 - - - 30.95
50 - - - 31.05
50 - - - 31.05

Good, consistant data here, too. So - it appears to be worth about 0.1 mpg. Hmmm... But to be a "good boy", and check that the conditions hadn't changed, it was time for the second "B" in the "A-B-A" test.

speed - MPG
50 - - - 30.65

OK, back to "worse" with the mirrors back in "stock" position. Next to test my cardboard grille block. There were also 2 holes in the lower bumper/air dam for the tow hooks, so I covered them, too. I also used a couple pieces of "plexiglass" to continue the contour from in front of the grille across the headlight area to the side of the vehicle. Results:

speed - MPG (3 set avg.)
50 - - - 32.4
50 - - - 32.4
50 - - - 32.35

So - grille block seems to be good for 1.5 mpg. However, it made the engine run hot enough to cause concern (I think) - 225 to 230 degrees. So I guess I need to come up with the smallest size "vent hole" now to keep the engine temp down a bit. Question: what temp is best for MPG?

I should have quit at that point, but decided to try the rear "fender skirts" next:

speed - MPG (2 set avg.)
50 - - - 31.85
50 - - - 31.6

Weird - mileage down!?!?! So, better do the final "B" test:

50 - - - 31.8

Hmmm.... But guess what? I'm now down to 1/4 tank. Tomorrow I can go fill it up & do the ScanGauge "calibration"! By the way, the engine and cruise control remained on and "set" the whole time, so each of thse runs were done under "non-human controlled speed".