View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Woohoo, congrats on going for your first good run!
Thanks! Man, what a feeling. You watch all these YouTube videos of guys excited to be on their first EV run but it is a feeling that I could never have imagined. Never before has such low speeds been so thrilling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
As far as the motor getting hot, the outside is not as much of an issue as the brushes and commutator getting hot, 350F/175C is about where it will start to cause damage.
Thanks for that info. 350F seems really hot to me. I will carry my infrared temp gun with me and stop to get an armature temp reading, especially after going up the hill on the way from work.

I also installed my hair dryer heater and wired it in last night. I wired it in so there is no way it will get power unless the heater fan is on. I turned the heat on for about 10 minutes and it blows...well...warm air. So it isn't as hot as with the ICE providing heat, but it is warmer than no heater. As long as it keeps the windshield clear, I'm happy.

As an experiment I am switching the 72VDC heater power with a regular old 12V 5-pin relay. After ten minutes it was slightly warm to the touch, but that's it. I also switch the 72 VDC key signal to the controller with one of these relays as well. I am concluding that at least to 72 volts, these relays work fine, keeping in mind that I am still using 12V on the control side (pins 85/86).

Last edited by mechman600; 10-15-2012 at 12:06 PM..