View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
mattrich67
EcoModding Lurker

97 accord auto - '97 honda Accord lx
90 day: 28.88 mpg (US)
Wow!!

The best way to calculate fuel mileage is how much fuel you use on gas gauge. And if I only go 150 miles on a half a tank I know I'm not getting but more then 30-35 mpg. If I got like 200 miles on half a tank I know I'm doing right.

Anybody can trick a on board computer. I do it all the time in my scion xb. I can get that to read in the 30 mpg range but when you do the real math and calculate the miles to gallons and read 24 mpg not 30 then you know you can't fully trust a on board gauge.

3rd
When my civic is supposed to get 28 mpg city only that's what I expect on a average driver. Now since I'm driving slower at takeoff, coasting to a stop, shifting under 3000 rpm, and driving the most efficient as I am able to do. I would think that I could make at least 5-8 mpg better.
Also my 32 mpg is 40% freeway

Fourth : thanks for that advise

Fifth :
I have seen over and over civic owners non hybrid getting 40- 50 mpg with only changing driving habits and maybe a grill block.
That's why I am asking and if they can get 50 mpg why can't I get 40 mpg.

OR are they going by a scan gauge readout!?

And yes the ones I saw did go 60-65 mph on freeway.

OR

Are these people live in a town that's all flat ground no hills just smooth drive nice wheather

This is the stuff I am asking.