View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
govman6159
Extreme DIYer

Custom eBike - '89 Bianchi Mainstreet 24vdc motor w/ 24v/30ah LiFePO4 Battery Pack

2006 Prius - '06 Toyota Prius 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I have a rear hub motor with a 7 speed free wheel on it and I've never had an issue with shifting gears, I've also never had an issue with it cutting out going up hills, but that would be because the speed controller is undersized and has a thermal shut down that is kicking in, so a higher power speed controller might be something to think about, even if you don't upgrade the motor a higher voltage speed controller will help you cut the losses in the wires as long as you don't over speed the motor, your speed controller limits the voltage to the motor at part throttle, so you could have a 96V battery pack and speed controller and as long as you didn't give it full throttle the motor would never see that full voltage, but the number of amps in the wires between the battery pack and speed controller would be much lower and at 22mph your motor would still only be seeing 24v or whatever voltage it requires to go 22mph, of course that would be a bit of over kill, but going with a speed controller that can handle higher amps and maybe a step up in voltage could be your best investment.
So, it's my controller that's causing it to cut out? I'm using the six pin "diagnostic" throttle control. The symptoms/indications I get are:
When going up a hill, sometimes the power cuts out (usually near the top of the hill). The red and green led's on the battery level indicator flash (battery SOC is green or full). I reset them by cycling the power switch and proceed on.

If I upgrade to a more robust controller, what would you recommend? I'm thinking a 36 or 48V 1000W controller (probably 48 so I'd have the option to upgrade to a 48V motor later). Since my batt pack is 24V, the motor would never see any higher voltage but, it may allow for higher current than the motor could handle. What potential problems could this cause? Could this burn out the motor's windings? I really don't want to burn out the motor b/c they are expensive (to me anyway) but, I would like to eliminate this problem of cutting out.

Can you give me some recommendations on controller upgrades?

Also, regarding your rear hub motor, you say you can still shift gears but that doesn't affect the gearing of the hub motor to drive the bike right? What I was referencing about shifting gears is that I can vary the gearing that my motor sees by shifting to a lower or higher gear. It was my hope that I would be able to use the bikes transmission to more efficiently use the small motor (original hope was to gain top speed but this has proved more difficult than anticipated. Now I'm looking to gain more low end torque thru gearing). I know most eBikes are focused on assist but, my ideal is little or no human assistance (unless you want to) because I'm lazy (lol).

Last edited by govman6159; 10-15-2012 at 12:37 PM..