View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formula413
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.43 mpg (US)
Another update:

Getting near the end, the 17th subpack is on the charger right now. The results have been very good so far, the lowest capacity returned after cycling was 6069 MaH, 93% of it's rated capacity. Two subpacks were very weak, with initial discharge capacities of 870 and 593. Both took only about 4300 MaH on their first charge but repeated cycling brought both of them over 6000. Those two subpacks would seem to be the cause of the pack's problems. I'm really excited to see how the pack will perform now.

A few questions that occurred to me during the process:

What are people's opinions on whether the position of a subpack in the pack will affect it's performance? Someone suggested this in another thread, I didn't think it would make much difference but I did notice that the two weakest subpacks are located dead center in the pack, which might subject them to more heat. Of the other three subpacks located in the center of the battery, two had good initial discharge and ultimate capacity, one was fair. Does anyone have any data from cycling another pack that might back this theory up?

Second question: Once I'm done with this process, some subpacks will have been sitting idle for almost two weeks, I was thinking it would be a good idea to top off each subpack before reassembly. Using the Superbrain to do this, would it make more sense to use the charge function or the trickle charge function? Any recommended settings?

And one more thing I was curious about: Has anyone noticed that sometimes individual cells in a subpack sometimes make noises during the charging cycle? A few times I have noticed cells making a sort of popping/hissing noise during charging, usually towards the end of the charge cycle. I didn't notice any cells getting exceptionally hot, I'm just curious if this is normal behavior.