View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
RiderofBikes
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
So, maybe its just me, but i hate statistics, too "general".
But i am a lazy human, that will eventually get around to my own testing ...eventually.

If you were to say 100=(100%) people gathered for a "study", revealing that 90% = 90 people had mental disorders, 100% of the time. You still whined up at 90% = 90 people. Thats great, but there's nothing that Specifically determines this result. Just a overall Broad Conclusion... IE: What type of disorders do they classify, and or test for individually?! if at all for the overall result. One test might result with flying colors, while the same "participant" failing the next test miserably.
^^^Example only^^^

Now for this type of testing, I'd "prefer" to have individual "Lab" testing for certain things (funds pending) to eliminate variables like mentioned before..
But Backyard Testing, I would much rather include a little more detail into my Results if I am certainly going to be testing in them. While Caost down test (Aero), or Instant feedback instrumentation good for (MPG) runs, are great, they include all the Variables, and come out with a more or less consistant result if done right enough times for a satisfactory conclusion (for that specific time frame).
I would run the test as "normal", multiple times, but just testing specifically at a certain Weather/temperature, Atitude, traffic vs. no traffic, "individual variable" basis instead.

Temps are one of the biggest variables geographically(anywhere), next would be Altitude.
(X)Temp x (X)Altitude = (X)mpg, OR (X)Aero efficiency
Hence forth I think that if I so happen to live geographically(not at nor near sea level) for both of these variables then I would just be conducting this test multiple times. Then at a later time, when the temp has changed, rerun the test at the same altitude to see how much(if any) change has accured.
Later on if you have the time or ability, Run a similar test at a different altitude/temp combo, etc.

Continue this testing pattern for the other variables where possible.
While Each graph wont be exactly the same, result wise, you will be able to see the corrolation between the variables specific to your vehicle

This would make for a battering amount of Tests and Combinations, Time and Effort used would be astronamical. But once its all said and done you have all variables on their own, that way you could maybe provide yourself info for YOUR "Optimum" curcumstance to test at for an Overall Result based on your previous research.

The Ideal curcumstances would be to unload the car, inflate tires(specific PSI), Cruise control, Instruments calibrated, 0 wind, 0 traffic, "real world" 70-80 avg tepms, humidity, Sea Level, etc, etc... But not all those factors align perfectly for everyone...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 10-15-2012 at 02:54 PM..