View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
kennybobby
Southern Squidbillie

i don't know if a BSFC curve is out there for your engine, but after looking at all of them that i could find and making CALCULATIONS of fuel consumption for various acceleration profiles up to a given speed--i found that the best acceleration technique is to rev it on up at the more-efficient highest power and torque region rather than prolong and drag out the acceleration for a longer time period at a lower power level (grandpa mode).

For example using 100 hp vs 60 hp to accelerate up to 60 mph used ~30% less fuel to cover the same distance. This works because you are using the fuel most efficiently, albeit at a higher rate, but for a shorter time.

i tested this on my BA van and mileage went up from 13's to 16's. i tested it on my VFR750 motorsickle and mileage went up from low 30's to low 40's. i'm also using coast in neutral, and staying off the brakes, which is probably the biggest factor, but it's definitely made it more fun to drive...i used to accelerate like grandpa, like there was an egg under the pedal--not anymore, i get on that thing hard at WOT when accelerating up to cruising speed.

What this means is that you want to get down into 1-4 on the vacuum gauge when accelerating and rev it on up to where the engine is making it's most efficient torque. If you are then at cruising speed go ahead and double or triple shift it up into highest gear. Try it you might like it and be surprised at the results.