View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
More food for thought - does this engine have coil on plug? The first 5 or 6 years of COP in Ford vehicles were bad ... A lot of fords were blowing out coils prematurely for no reason when ford first made the change to COP. I'm glad that my Taurus of that era had a coil pack and wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Two things to look for:
1) Being that it's a Ford, Google where the fuel cutoff switch is. It's supposed to deny fuel in the event of an accident to stop fires. My Ranger was terrible about activating it for no particular reason. On the Ranger it was behind the passenger side kick panel. On F-series trucks it's near the brake pedal up under the dash.

2) Verify that the little switch your clutch is supposed to hit is being activated. It's a switch that tells your car "yes, the clutch is depressed. Allow the starter to work."
I had THAT problem on my Ranger too, fixed it by bending a little tiny piece of metal and securing it with duct tape.

Hope this helps!
I've had a ford with an overactive inertia switch (a few others in my family did too ... oddly enough). I also know where to hit a 96-07 taurus to make it shut off haha.

Anyway - it doesn't sound like that's OP's problem. When I've tripped mine it would crank but not fire. Sounds like his isn't cranking at all.