View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
1998 Dodge Neon Aeromods

Its finally time to start working on this thing. I originally modified the car with white duct tape, and was able to reach numbers as high as 52mpg, freeway with the air on at low cruising speeds on the freeway, back in 09. But in 2010, I moved less than 5 miles from work, and haven't really drove the car much as an extensive year long audio project took over.

The goal now is to be able to achieve 50mpg+, at 70mph on the freeway, ac on. Modifications will be done with fiberglass and carbon fiber, and I will attempt to make them look as nice as three-wheelers mods. Return on investment isn't the goal here, as aero modifications have a second purpose, and that is to lower in car noise. This will make road trips much more relaxing. This is important to me as I really only drive this car long distance to audio gtg's and competitions.

I will probably not get any actual testing done for a while, since most of the parts are being built from the stock parts. When finished, there will be some back to back testing with the aeromods on the car and with them off, as well as RTA measuring of noise in the car with and without. Both will probably be done on a dry lake bed to eliminate as many variables as possible.

The car is a 1998 Dodge Neon R/T. It has the less efficient DOHC motor, which currently has a set of hotter cams in it that will be removed soon. Stock intake, stock exhaust. The stock transmission, which had a .81 5th gear and 3.94 FD, has been replaced with a .72 5th and 3.55 FD transmission. There is an aluminum flywheel on the car that saves 8 pounds. It also has some Unorthodox Racing cam gears, which save 5oz per gear. The power steering pump has been gutted and turned into an idler pulley so I can retain A/C, as it gets over 100 here for almost a month during the summer. It is currently on some cheap douglas tires, but will probably get Ecopias next winter. The car will also end up being significantly heavier than stock, due to audio equipment.