View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

No extreme custom items in my border crossing history aside from a homemade airdam on an '82 VW Quantum diesel wagon.

In the mid 70's I went down to Tijuana, Mexico on my heavily packed motorcycle for about half an hour. I got all these hungry eyes staring at me hard from pedestrians at street corners, as if they couldn't wait for a chance to rob me. I never got off the bike, nor stopped except for red lights. I traveled quite funky in those days, as my bike had the Beverly Hillbillies look as I had several garbage sized blue bags strapped on.
I expected a complete unpack at USA re-entry, but I guess my youthful innocent look, plus too much work, spurred them on to let me fly through.

In '04, when I took the Quantum all the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia, I received a 25 minute search, and questioning upon leaving Maine into New Brunswick.

Later on same trip in Arizona, the car was heavily searched before I got near Hoover Dam.

In about '09 with current CRX, I was treated polite while leaving Washington state NE of Spokane into eastern BC. I had to eat like 6 plums on the spot, as they were a no go.

Re-entry into USA at Montana south of Calgary was like a bad nightmare movie.
There were about 6 vehicles in line in front of me. Immediately in front of me was a pickup with a medium sized travel trailer. When they were done with him, I waited until he was completely gone, then proceeded forward to a stop sign., kind of like THE exact
stop to stop at.
The guy went banana's because I proceeded to there w/o having him direct me to do so!!!

He acted like he wanted to jail me for that!!! Then he wanted to see in the mini cooler
I had next to me. With 2 of them staring, typing in their minds my EMOTIONAL makeup as they fired all of the typical questions, they must have been delighted when to satisfy
the mini cooler issue, I managed to dump most of the cold water from it in my lap while
showing them what fruit was in there! Not my happiest travel moment!

In about '08, I revisited the Hoover Dam scene again; this time in current CRX, and was just waved through after the firearms question.

In 2010, w same CRX, decided to take a more western north route for something different, and to just delete the Hoover Dam part.
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]