View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I have no experience with diesels or turbos, but I approach cold starts just like warm starts. Low rpm, high load (say medium load for the first minute), EOC. I'll let it idle a few seconds after starting, but that's it. Any deviation from that for faster warmup is extra fuel used.* My car has lived 200,000 miles, so I doubt extra wear is a significant factor.

Faster warmup does mean lower fuel usage later in the trip, but at best you get back half of what you spent warming up. Best fuel consumption is to arrive at the other end with the coldest engine you can. Grille block to make it warm up faster.
I see you're from Texas, and I presume is quite different than Poland in terms of average temperature. Low viscosity oil in winter is like a butter (almost) during the coldest part of the year. So cold wear of the engine is a factor here. I'm not saying that your engine will break after few cold starts or EO(ff)C of course, but I'm keeping that in mind.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."