View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrowning View Post
I traded the Silverado 4 1/2 years ago and the fuel log notebook has long since been re-purposed. It is very possible that the ethanol content was the difference, but isn't that what you were looking for, if there is a difference? All refiners start with the same raw stock and blend in their secret recipe of additives that they think will differentiate them from the rest to gain customer loyalty. Gasoline isn't an element, it is a blend of dozens of compounds in differing ratios.
I think variation in mileage with variation in ethanol content is fairly well documented. I guess my question was whether people feel there's a significant difference if the ethanol content is the same. In my mind I guess that would have to be due to the additives because, as I understand it, all the fuel goes into the pipelines after refiniing and then there's no distinction of who refined it after that, i.e. if BP puts a million gallons of E0 octane 87into the pipeline, they're gauranteed to be able to suck out a million gallons of E0 octane 87 on the other end, but not gaurenteed that it's the same million gallons--those million gallons might have been refined by Shell. As I understand it, the additives are added after the fuel is taken out of the pipeline.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html