View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Hmmm 85% load...that's quite high!
It's hard to tell what load has the best BSFC, but most engines seem to be within 15% of peak efficiency by 50% load. I think this has to do with the fact that higher combustion pressure starts to be wasted after ~50%. More power offsets the proportionally higher friction at low load though, so peak efficiency comes at higher loads. I think any OBDII car keeps closed loop even at WOT below some engine speed, I know mine does.

I try to use 60-70% load to accelerate because it offers most of the efficiency but makes controlling acceleration and avoiding braking much easier. Additionally, when pulse and gliding, the longer pulse may consume a bit more fuel but I think it reduces the proportion of transient conditions (needing to rev the engine back up) and idle. I love slightly hilly highways because I can pulse up the incline at 50-60% load without building speed at all, and then drop into neutral down the hill and lose speed slowly. But most importantly the lower load makes it easier to drive since there's less power coming on. With my featherweight car and absurdly short gears this is especially an issue, although your Civics aren't much heavier! I ditched my spare for luggage space so I should be at 2175-2180lbs with full tank of gas.